Completion of the M.S. degree requires 30 credits of coursework over 18 months. Completion of a 2-credit capstone project in the final semester of the program serves as a comprehensive examination for the program.
Required Courses for the M.S. in Global Infectious Disease (18 credits total)
- GLID-501. Core Global Infectious Disease Course – 6 credits (Fall and Spring)
- EPID-503. Biostatistics – 3 credits (Fall)
- EPID-501. Epidemiology I- 3 credits (Spring),
- GLID-505. Infection and Immunity: Pathogens and host response -3 credits (Fall). Cross-list with BIOL.
- Research Ethics- 1 credit (Spring)
- GLID-801. Capstone in GID- 2 credits (Fall)
Required for Policy Track (8 credits)
- GLOH-517. Health Economics -3 credits (Spring)
- GLID-511. Policy Analysis -2 credits (Spring). Cross-list with STIA.
- STIA-394. Global Health Diplomacy – 3 credits (Spring)
Required for Modeling Track (12 credits)
- MATH-510. Programming for Data Science – 3 credits (Fall or Spring). BCHB-524 may substitute for some students.
- BIOL-422. Modeling of Biological Systems – 3 credits (Spring)
- GLID-521. Informatics of Biological Systems – 3 credits (Fall)
- GLID-525. Quantitative Evidence in Infectious Disease Research – 3 credits (Fall)
Electives (for a total of 30 credits)
Any course from one of the other tracks. Below is a partial list of additional electives:
- One Health – 3 credits
- Biohazardous Threat Agents – 3 credits MICB 515
- Emerging Infectious Disease – 2 credits MICB 524
- Virology – 3 credits MICB 619
- Climate Change and Health – 3 credits
- Bioterrorism/Biological Warfare – 3 credits
- Health in Conflicts / Crises / Disasters – 3 credits
- AIDS, TB, Malaria – 3 credits
- Introduction to GIS -2 credits
- Global Health Foundations – 3 cr. STIA 421.
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology- 1.5 credit (Spring) EPID 509.
- Regulatory Science and Public Health – 2 credits (Fall) MICB 702
- Global Health Law
- AIDS Law
- Political theory and/or politics/history of development
- Research/Internship – students may request to receive up to 0.5 credits for research or internship experiences over the summer. The research/internship experience requires approval of a faculty mentor and the program director.
Need More Information?
Apply Now Request Information Contact Us